Businesses face an increasingly complex array of statutory requirements and a growing trend towards litigation. We work with multi-national and specialist insurers, delivering commercially effective solutions to a range of Financial Lines issues.
Our primary area of professional expertise includes:
- Advice on D&O coverage and claim management;
- Defence of Employers Liability claims, particularly in unfair dismissal and adverse action claims; and
- Workplace Health and Safety prosecutions and coronial enquiries.
When claims are unable to be resolved, clients know that we have a proven track-record in rigorously defending them. Clients also appreciate that when claims are resolved, we will debrief with the insured to provide important ‘learnings’. This enables clients to consider new operational strategies to avoid or minimize the likelihood of future claims being made.
Our experience in the Financial Lines sector includes:
- Providing highly technical indemnity advice to a multinational insurer: in particular, determining not only whether the actions of one insured individual was in his capacity as an officer of the insured company but also the effect of pleading apportionment of liability against other directors insured under the same policy;
- Defending and acting for one of the largest multinational insurance companies and its insureds in a multi-million dollar Supreme Court litigation proceeding;
- Resolving unfair dismissal claims on behalf of a national insurer and its insured at the first conciliation conference for a nominal financial contribution; and
- Successfully resolving Anti-Discrimination proceedings for a SME insured at conciliation for a nil financial contribution.
Insurers also seek our professional expertise in relation to:
- Civil liability claims against directors & officers including statutory breach of directors duties pursuant to the Corporation Act 2001 (Cth);
- Investigations commenced by Government agencies as well as administrative and regulatory proceedings;
- Shareholder litigation against directors and officers;
- Advice on coverage and indemnity disputes including the application of exclusions clauses, insuring clauses and endorsements;
- Employment practices liability claims; and
- Workplace, health and safety prosecutions and investigations.
CONTACT OUR TEAM
For advice on all Financial Lines issues please contact: